The McMichael Canadian Art Collection provides ArtVenture Camp for children ages five to fifteen. Children learn the basics of drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, collage and more. Our programs help to stimulate creativity and build art making skills, in an environment that is safe, fun and fulfilling. Art activities are complemented by gallery tours, stories, games, and exploring the natural beauty of our 40 hectares of conservation land.
We are currently recruiting Camp Assistants for our ArtVenture March Break Camp Programs.
Reporting to the Art Program Coordinator, the ArtVenture Camp Assistants will support the Camp Instructors with the delivery of a 1-week full day art program (Monday March 11 to Friday March 15, 2019) through preparing materials, monitoring health & safety, assisting campers individually or in groups, leading games and break time activities, cleaning the studio space, and providing additional support whenever needed. Assistants work with experienced Art Instructors in delivering all programs, gaining hands-on experience within a cultural institution.
Assistant Responsibilities Include:
- Arrive on time – Come to work alert and ready to work with kids.
- Design and lead extended care (morning and evening), lunchtime, & break activities (indoors & outdoors).
- Supervise campers during sign-in and sign-out with parents. Check IDs and collect any required documents. Inform parents of any success or issues that arose over the day within reason, exemplifying strong customer service skills. Answer questions. Communicate all important information from sign-in/out with Instructors.
- Maintain good communication with your camp Instructor and volunteers to ensure the day’s programming runs smoothly. Be sure that you understand what the Instructor would like you to do.
- Submit all necessary administrative documents in accordance with submission deadlines.
- Prioritize child well-being and safety throughout the camp. Evaluate situations for potential risks to the safety and well-being of campers and staff, proactively taking mitigating actions to address such risks.
- Review attendance list and familiarize yourself with any health or behavioral issues before campers arrive.
- Always re-enforce and model the behavioral code established by the Instructor and the ArtVenture leadership team. Maintain behavioral code in studio and when the campers are on breaks and at lunch.
- Check all lunches and snacks for any allergens and provide replacement snacks when necessary.
- Take a regular head count. Do not leave campers unsupervised for any reason.
- Resolve problems and conflicts among camp participants effectively as they arise.
- For minor injuries treat with first aid.
- Report incidents (health/behavior) to Instructor and Art Program Coordinator, use proper report forms.
- Assist the Instructor with preparation of materials, set-up and cleanup. Maintain studio cleanliness throughout the course of each day.
- Assist with the instruction of studio activities as required.
- Anticipate needs and be proactive, i.e. get clean water for painting without being asked.
- Work with campers one-on-one – ensure they use materials safely and provide encouragement.
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills in preparation for and during March Break Camp.
Administration and all camp activities will take place at the McMichael Canadian Art Collection in Kleinburg. The successful candidate will be a student wishing to pursue studies in Child Education, Fine Arts, Art Instruction, and Teaching. Experience working in art or nature camps/related fields and a passion for working and educating children/youth is essential. Must attend any required training. Fluency in English is required. Current Emergency First Aid CPR-B or higher is required.
Application Process: Interested candidates should quote the job title and submit a brief cover letter and resume via email to hr at mcmichael.com by January 11, 2019.
We thank all candidates for their applications; only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
The McMichael Canadian Art Collection will accommodate individuals with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment process.
McMichael Canadian Art Collection 10365 Islington Avenue, Kleinburg, ON., L0J 1C0 www.mcmichael.com
The McMichael Canadian Art Collection is an Agency of the Government of Ontario under the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport.