The McMichael Canadian Art Collection provides ArtVenture Camp for children ages five to fifteen. Children learn the basics of drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, collage and more. Our programs help to stimulate creativity and build art making skills, in an environment that is safe, fun and fulfilling. Art activities are complemented by gallery tours, stories, games, and exploring the natural beauty of our 40 hectares of conservation land.
We are currently recruiting Camp Volunteers for our ArtVenture March Break Camp Programs.
Volunteer Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with studio cleaning, prep, and organization before, during, and after camp, during snack breaks, and during sign out periods.
- Help oversee morning and afternoon activities. During sign-in/out engage the campers in games or activities. At lunch, get involved in indoor and outdoor games and keep an extra eye out for any situations that Assistants need to attend to.
- Reinforce and model the behavioural code established by senior ArtVenture staff at all times.
- Maintain and promote enthusiasm for participation among campers and help during art making time.
- Engage with the children during appropriate times– ask them questions, encourage them in their art making, talk to them.
- Report all incidents (health or behavioural) to Assistant or Instructor.
- Help act to prevent and stop unsafe situations from arising and alert the Assistant and Staff members working with you of any dangerous situations.
- Help assistants check all lunches and snacks for peanut/sesame/allergens etc.
- BE PROACTIVE! Take the initiative to help without being asked. When instructors and assistants are busy with the children, they need your help to assist without being asked. During these times, be observant to what is happening in the studio and take the initiative to help out in a useful way (clean up messes, refill water containers, attend to the needs of the children etc.).
- Work as a team, effectively with the Instructor and Assistant.
- Assist as needed.
- All volunteers must be pre-registered with the McMichael Youth Team with the following:
- High school students age 13-18.
- Have completed a Vulnerable Sector Screening check.
- Must be available and in attendance at the McMichael gallery for a volunteer interview, attend any required training dates, and commit to the full week of volunteering with our March Break camp (Monday March 11 to Friday March 15, 2019).
- Arrive on time – you must be here, signed in, and ready to start by 8:15 a.m.
- Assist each day of camp from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (All volunteers have a 45-minute lunch break).
- Some experience with or strong interest in working with children.
- First Aid training is a strong preference.
- Good communication skills and ability to work with people of a wide range of ages.
- Enthusiastic and energetic, creative and imaginative, be positive and engaging.
- Able to provide own transportation to McMichael Canadian Art Collection.
Application Process: All volunteers interested in March Break Camp must complete the attached form and return via e-mail by January 11, 2019. You can also fax to 905-893-0692, mail, or bring it in person to the McMichael Canadian Art Collection “Attn: Programs department.”
McMichael Canadian Art Collection 10365 Islington Avenue, Kleinburg, ON., L0J 1C0 www.mcmichael.com
The McMichael Canadian Art Collection is an Agency of the Government of Ontario under the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport.