The McMichael is home to a world-class art collection and is uniquely situated within one of the few areas of urban wilderness. An extraordinary place, the McMichael has an iconic presence in Canadian history as a meeting place for artists and art lovers eager to creatively explore the notion of Canada and to celebrate the country’s art, culture, and natural environment.
Creative Learning Experience
The McMichael’s highly interactive programs are designed to advance students’ visual literacy, nurture higher-order thinking and communication skills, boost creativity, and get students excited! These innovative learning experiences can be applied across the curriculum and address the Ministry’s expectations for each grade level.
McMichael Art Educators and Studio Instructors excel at managing and accommodating individual learning styles while inspiring creativity. Their knowledge and teaching skills foster meaningful experiences that engage students and create lasting memories.
For more information and to book your school program, call 905.893.1121 ext. 2209 or toll free 1.888.213.1121 or email us.
Art2Go is our popular classroom program. A gallery educator will travel to your school and teach about the Group of Seven and their contemporaries, First Nations or Inuit art. Students view signature works from the gallery and engage in a hands-on art activity.Art2Go is designed for minimum 20 students and is offered as half or full day programs. Choose to learn about the Group of Seven and their contemporaries, First Nations Art, or Inuit Art. The program includes an introduction to the area of interest and a studio portion. All supplies and materials are included.
We'll bring the gallery to you and introduce your class to the McMichael's wonderful Canadian art collection!
A similar Gallery2Go is also available to service clubs and other community groups.
Inquire about booking your Art2Go talk today! Contact 905.893.1121 ext. 2209, or email us. Note: Art2Go is available to schools within a 40 km radius of the McMichael.
Enrich your visit. Prepare ahead by using our electronic and published classroom resources. All gallery programs have been designed to complement the Ontario curriculum.
Our experienced educators engage students in activities that meet specific expectations in the areas of knowledge of elements, creative work, and critical thinking. Programs are highly interactive, with an emphasis on developing visual awareness and vocabulary so students can appreciate and discuss works of art.
SCHOOL VISIT POLICIES
1. School visits must be booked and confirmed by written contract.
2. School programs operate from 9:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. A group stay on the grounds and in the gallery will be restricted to the times and program(s) listed on your school visit contract.
3. There are no self-guided school programs. McMichael staff must accompany school groups during the entire visit.
4. To ensure student safety, visitors must agree to follow the instructions and guidance provided by McMichael staff.
5. Changes to a contract and/or cancellations must be received in writing 30 days before a group visit.
6. There is a service fee for cancellations after 30 days. Groups will be charged 50% of their contracted rate.
7. School staff is responsible for the supervision of visiting students.
8. Lunch space must be reserved. "Lunch" will appear under the "Program" heading of the contract.