The McMichael Canadian Art Collection is founded on the very idea of giving. Robert and Signe McMichael donated their home, land, and art collection to the Province of Ontario in 1965, and the gallery has since relied on generous donations, sponsorships and gifts from both the private and public sectors.
Become part of the McMichael family – as a member, as a corporate partner, as a volunteer or docent, or by making a charitable donation to support the gallery’s permanent collection, special exhibitions, and exciting range of programs for adults and children. Click here to donate now.
Our Patrons Council and Legacy Giving pages have more information on how to get involved. For donations of securities or art, please contact Lisa Pottie: firstname.lastname@example.org. To donate to the Aboriginal Art Curatorial Fund, please visit this page.
Prefer to donate by cheque? Mail your cheque to our mailing address to the attention of the Director of Development. All donations are tax receiptable in Canada, and our Charitable Registration Number is 897703765 RR 0001.
Colonel Robert Samuel McLaughlin (1871-1972) was a significant donor to the McMichael. He was a pioneer in the Canadian automobile industry and founder of General Motors of Canada, as well as a noted philanthropist and patron of the arts.
His support of the visual arts was likely encouraged by the fact that his daughter, Isabel McLaughlin, was an artist. Through her friendship with A.Y. Jackson, Colonel McLaughlin acquired an exceptional collection of Group of Seven masterpieces in 1940. These paintings hung in his Oshawa home, Parkwood Estate, until 1969 when Robert McMichael convinced him that the McMichael gallery would be a fitting permanent home for his collection of Group of Seven paintings as well as the Maria Chapdelaine series by Clarence Gagnon.