These tips and explanations will allow you to make the most of your visit to the McMichael.
Protecting the Art
Please do not touch the artwork. Keep a safe distance of 1 m (39 in.) between you and the works of art. Please do not run in the Gallery spaces. We ask that you keep your voices to a conversation-level to respect the experience of other guests and groups.
Bags and Knapsacks
Visitors may carry one bag, such as a purse. Bags cannot be carried on your back. Bags, knapsacks, briefcases and parcels larger than 45 x 40 x 15 cm (18 x 16 x 6 in.) are not permitted in the galleries; please leave such items at home or in your vehicle. At this time, lockers are not available and we apologize for any inconvenience. All bags entering or leaving the Gallery are subject to inspection by Security staff.
The McMichael allows photography for personal use only, and only where indicated. There will be signs in each gallery to let you know whether photography is allowed, and if in doubt, please feel free to ask one of our Guides. We ask that you respect the rights of artists and their representatives under Canadian copyright law. For more information on Canadian copyright law, visit http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-42/.
Food and Drink
Food and drink are not permitted in the galleries. Sealed water bottles and baby bottles are allowed into gallery spaces but must be consumed in non-art spaces, like bathrooms or the lobby.
Pets are not permitted in the Gallery, but you are welcome to enjoy the grounds with your animal, and service animals, such as seeing eye dogs, are allowed into the Gallery.
Please turn your cell phone to silent or the vibrate setting and be respectful of other visitors when using your cell phone.
Sketching is permitted in the Gallery with pencil only, as is note-taking.
Strollers are welcome in gallery spaces. Or you may leave your stroller in our stroller parking area in the coat room to the right of the lobby. Bikes, helmets, skateboards, skate shoes, Rollerblades and scooters are not permitted. Please note that lockers are not currently available for use.
For the protection of visitors, staff and works of art, the Gallery is monitored by video surveillance.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
The McMichael has implemented a number of new safety protocols to help keep visitors safe and healthy as they reconnect with the art of Canada.
- New signage will help visitors navigate the unidirectional travel through all gallery spaces.
- Timed ticketing will be implemented for all visitors, including McMichael members, to manage capacity and visitor flow.
- McMichael staff will be sanitizing public spaces on an enhanced cleaning schedule.
- Visitors are encouraged to use a number of new hand sanitation stations positioned around the Gallery.
- Frontline staff will be wearing personal protective equipment as they interact with visitors.
- Transactions and payments will be touchless/contactless.
- All soft furnishings have been removed from public spaces for sanitary purposes.
- All drinking fountains will be closed until further notice. Personal water bottles may be consumed outside of Gallery spaces.
- All visitors over the age of 5 are required to wear a face mask during their visit in accordance with York Region public health guidelines.